Manoah and Martha Steves, after whom the Town of Steveston is named, settled and began farming in the southwest corner of Lulu Island (which is now the city of Richmond, BC) in 1877. In 1886 Manoah Steves imported the first purebred Holstein cattle into British Columbia, and in 1888 his sons Herbert and Joseph became the first mail-order seed-sellers in Western Canada.
Their farm has been passed down through several generations. It is currently owned and operated by Joseph’s grandson, Harold Steves and Harold’s wife Kathy with occasional help from their sons Jerry and Rob.
Their Steveston Stock and Seed Farm raises about 25 purebred Belted Galloway cattle for natural beef and breeding and produces seed for the Heritage Seed Program, which preserves heirloom and endangered seeds, fruits, grains, and herbs.
In 1976 the Steves family purchased Back Valley Ranch, located in the foothills north east of Cache Creek, BC. Here, Jerry Steves and partner, Suzanna currently raise 150 Angus-Hereford crossbred animals which they sell locally as well as through the Steveston Stock and Seed Farm.
Comments are closed for this page.